WordPress is one of the best CMS platforms available on the planet today to build a website.
Here are some of the major reasons why small business owners prefer WordPress for their website development.
- WordPress is free to use & customize.
- WordPress developers are available at an affordable cost.
- WordPress backend is easy-to-understand even for novice webmasters.
- WordPress is SEO-friendly.
- Most of the WordPress themes are responsive (mobile-friendly).
- There are tons of free & paid plugins available to use with a WordPress website.
While WordPress website development is easier & affordable as compared to other CMS platforms, you do need to take care of few things in order to enhance your website’s performance.
In this blog post, we have shared 7 tips for small business owners to run their WordPress websites effectively.
#1 Install Yoast SEO plugin
Getting relevant traffic on any website is as important as its development. Without sufficient traffic, a website is worth nothing much.
And when we talk about getting traffic on any website, SEO is perhaps one of the best & affordable mediums to achieve it.
Fortunately, there are several great SEO plugins that you can use with your WordPress website to optimize it for search engines. One of those best plugins is Yoast SEO.
Here’s how the Yoast SEO plugin can help you in search engine optimization:
- It allows you to configure important tags for each webpage of your site.
- It provides you with suggestions to write optimized content for your webpages, based on your chosen keywords.
- Creating XML sitemaps for your website.
- Allowing search engines to index important webpages on your website.
- Writing the content in an easy-to-read format for the users.
- & more…
#2 Choose mobile-friendly theme
Having a responsive (mobile-friendly) website is no more a luxury now. It’s rather mandatory to have a responsive website design. Sadly, there are still many web developers & webmasters who don’t check their websites for responsiveness.
In the absence of a mobile-friendly website, you may have to face several critical issues like:
- Bad user experience for the visitors who are surfing your website using their smart devices.
- Missing the opportunity to rank on search engines because most of the search engines like Google have started considering a website’s responsiveness as one of the factors to rank any website.
- Website loading speed may be slower for mobile-device users.
As a small business owner, you must not miss out on any opportunity to enhance the user experience and search engines rankings of your website. Therefore, having a responsive WordPress website is very important for your business.
Recommended post: What are the benefits of responsive website design?
#3 Choose reliable website hosting
A web hosting server plays a vital role in the performance of any WordPress website. It won’t be wrong to say that a hosting server can either make or break a website.
So, it does make sense for all small business owners to choose their web hosting company wisely.
What are the qualities that you must look out for while choosing a web hosting company for your WordPress website development?
- 24/7 support
- One-click WordPress installation
- High-performance servers
- Security plugins enabled
- Unmetered bandwidth
- Affordable costing
- Option to scale up the storage and bandwidth
Here are some of the best yet affordable web hosting companies to host your WordPress website:
- iPage (starts $1.99/mo. only)
- HostGator (starts $3.75/mo. only)
- BlueHost (starts $3.95/mo. only)
#4 Hire affordable website developer
We all know that most small businesses have a limited budget to spend on their website development & maintenance. But at the same time, we also know that website development is not a one-time thing.
You do need a web developer not only to create a website but also to maintain & upgrade it.
Therefore, hiring an affordable web developer will provide you with several benefits like:
- Development of a new website.
- Make changes to your existing WordPress website.
- Fixing WordPress issues on your website.
- Maintaining your WordPress website on a regular basis.
- Take regular backups & upgrade your WordPress themes & plugins.
- Redesigning your existing WordPress website.
Considering your limited budget, you can hire Indian web developers & designers who can help you to build your websites at an affordable price.
Recommended post: A few things to consider before hiring a website developer in India
#5 Take care of loading speed
As we mentioned earlier being a small business owner, you must out not miss out any single opportunity to enhance your website’s performance & get quality traffic on your website, you must take care of your website’s loading speed too.
Especially with WordPress websites, where your developer is required to install several plugins, there could be some chances that the website may be compromised for the loading speed.
Here are some of the ways in which your WordPress developer can optimize your website for loading speed:
- Install cache plugin
- Update your plugins & themes regularly
- Remove useless plugins
- Optimize images
- Choose the best web hosting
Recommended post: 7 Ways To Speed-Up The Loading Speed Of A WordPress Website
#6 Keep blogging
Why blogging is important for small business websites?
- A blog helps you to secure higher search engine rankings.
- A blog helps your small business to emerge as an authority in your industry.
- A blog helps to engage visitors with your website.
- A blog can help you to generate demand for your products & services.
On top of all, blogging doesn’t require any huge investment. You can either write blog posts for your website or can hire a content writer to do this job for you.
Recommended post: 8 Major benefits of blogging for your eCommerce website
#7 Maintain your website
Creating a website is not sufficient. You do need to maintain your website regularly.
No matter if you run a small business or a large organization, maintaining your WordPress website must be on the top of your list.
If you don’t maintain your website, you may face issues like:
- Injection of malicious codes & viruses.
- Slow loading speed
- Other security threats
- Outdated information
- Broken links
- Other issues
Again, if your budget doesn’t allow you to hire a full-time web developer, you can hire a web designer in India to maintain your website.
Recommended post: 8 Reasons to maintain your eCommerce website