If you have a business website, you do need to maintain it. Website development is not a one-time thing. You can’t simply create it, shut it and forget it.
Here are some of the important reasons why you should maintain your website:
- It keeps your website up-to-date.
- It improves the security of your website.
- It maintains the loading speed of your website.
- It enhances your search engine optimization when you regularly publish new content.
- It improves the user experience.
- It saves your web development cost because you don’t need to rebuild your website that often.
With so many benefits of maintaining a website, it does make complete sense to maintain or hire a web developer to maintain your website.
However, if you don’t have enough budget to hire a website builder to take care of your site’s maintenance, you can do it yourself too. Don’t worry. You do not require any technical know-how if you simply follow the below steps.
Let’s dive in.
#1 Choose WordPress
One of the easiest ways to save your web maintenance cost is to choose WordPress for your website development.
Why WordPress for your website development?
- WordPress is a free open source
- WordPress is easy-to-use
- WordPress developers are affordable
- WordPress can be customized to your business needs
- WordPress is SEO-friendly
- WordPress is easy to redesign through different themes
- WordPress is secured
Recommended Post: 6 Reasons to choose WordPress for your website development
WordPress CMS comes with an easy-to-use dashboard that any layman user can also operate.
With the WordPress CMS, you can easily manage various elements on your website such as:
- Texts and images on all the webpages.
- Links within the texts.
- Navigation menu.
- Meta tags management for SEO purposes.
Additionally, you can also create new pages or even install some plugins in just a few clicks. You don’t need any coding skills to handle small stuff on your website.
Therefore, when you use WordPress to build your website, you can save the money that you might have spent hiring a website builder to make minor changes to your website.
Recommended post: 6 Reasons to choose WordPress for your website development
#2 Ask for manual
After your website developer finishes your website, you can ask him for an instruction manual. Using this manual and following the steps mentioned therein, you can easily make the desired changes to your website.
At Innomax, we always provide our clients with a manual that helps them to manage & maintain their website.
Needless to mention, if you have a manual and you know how to make the changes, you don’t need to hire any website developer and pay them to do these tasks for you.
The manual of your website must have below instructions or guidelines for you to make your life easier:
- How to make changes in existing pages.
- How to add new pages.
- How to manage (edit, add, or delete) the navigation menu.
- How to upload the images and videos.
- How to backup the website regularly.
- How to manage services & products, if you have an e-commerce store.
#3 Find an affordable developer
A web developer plays an important role in the success of any website or online business. Therefore, you must take all the precautions before hiring an appropriate website builder to create or maintain your website.
Although there are lots of options available for you to find and hire a website developer to maintain your website, you must make sure that you engage an experienced yet affordable developer who can go along with you throughout your online journey.
What are the qualities that you must check before hiring a website builder?
- Your developer must be affordable.
- Your developer must be experienced enough to handle all sorts of challenges.
- Your developer must understand your business & website requirements.
- Your developer must be able to communicate.
- Your developer must be available for you to take care of urgent matters on your website.
Recommended post: 9 Questions to ask before hiring a web developer in India
#4 Practice regularly
In our experience as a web development company, we have noticed many times that even when the website owners have a manual to take control of their websites, they really do not take time to study & practice.
The more you practice making changes on your website, the better you will become at it.
As a precautionary note, you must take a full backup of your website before making any changes, just in case you need it.
Even if the manual looks overwhelming to you, there are a few things that you must practice regularly:
- Making changes in the existing webpages.
- Creating new pages on your website.
- Publishing texts and images on your website.
#5 Choose reliable hosting
Web hosting plays an important role in the overall performance of any website. It’s so important to choose a reliable hosting provider that we can say “Your web hosting can make or break your website“.
Choosing a reliable yet affordable web hosting provider will not only help you to reduce the cost of website development but will also help you to maintain your website effectively.
Additionally, your hosting company must provide you with prompt support so that you can seek their assistance for all urgent matters.
Below are some of the qualities that you must look out for in a web hosting provider before subscribing with them:
- Live chat
- Server’s performance